Monday, September 16, 2013

Presentation Response!!!

I find it interesting to see how films have evolved over time. How films were more experimental and artistic back then where as now they are more narrative based. Its a shame that the appreciation and understanding of these films has decreased over the years. Its fascinating to learn about each film makers life before their career and how they got where they were and the things they had to do to achieve their goals. Also the impact they have made on the way we interpret films and how we appreciate them now.

Each and every presentation given shared something new and exciting for me as an individual. Each day I learn more and more and it reminds me why I love film and why I am so passionate about it. Before I came to UNCW I never would have thought that I would enjoy/ understand experimental film but now, after taking the few classes that I have, I have a completely new level of respect and a much higher knowledge of it all. I love learning about the various techniques used by various film makers and I love seeing how each and every film maker has made an impact on not only their audience but also their fellow film makers.

I do have to say that I feel as if I was the most interested in hearing about Jonas Mekas because if life experiences relate to that of my family. My dads parents were also born in Lithuania and the too were in a concentration camp until they escaped to Germany where my father was born. It is amazing to think that my grandparents could have grown up around Mekas. Yes the chances of that are 50/50 but just the thought makes me wish I could as them about it. And how cool would it have been to hear my grandparents say yes, they did meet him or yes they did know of him. Just like my grandparents, hearing about Mekas's life inspires me but at the same time makes me incredibly thankful!

In the article, Moritz often uses the term absolute film. This term "absolute film" is coined from the term "absolute music" and is a more accurate phrase for these types of films. These films used music to create image and I personally find that fascinating. These films were meant to please the eye and the ear and were never meant to have a narrative form. This reminds me of the sound project we are currently working on, we aren't supposed to make these sound scape have a narrative and that can be difficult for this generation but if we take a step back and think about what Mekas, Ruttmann, Eggeling, Murphy, Ray or any of the others would have done than I know we can accomplish our goals.



No comments:

Post a Comment